Thursday, February 2, 2012

I Dream of Biscotti

Mister Spensley is turning 27 in eight days, which has given me numerous opportunities to reminding him of morality by pointing out all his grey hairs and informing him how another year older means more responsibility etc. Though I've enjoyed this exercise immensely I'm actually fretting about the birthday dinner with his family ... what should I wear, how should I act and more importantly what should I cook?

Due to time constraints, I'm thinking of making biscotti. As avid readers of my blog know, I'm fantical about these treats and though I've tried numerous recipes I am yet to find a Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti recipe that comes close to the wow factor of Phillippa's Chocolate Hazelnut Orange Biscotti. I feel my downfall is the lack of melted chocolate and/or additional chocolate pieces. So are you a gun biscotti maker? Do you have any suggestions on how to really infuse that chocolaty taste into this Italian treat? Then I want to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. im sure the biscotti and your fine self will be fabulous for the special occassion! best of luck miss jo!! sorry i have no skills to share :( but someone will im sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quick Google search suggests that you need to have a higher proportion of cocoa powder to flour. Your last recipe uses 2 tbs of cocoa, this is not enough for a decent chocolate taste. I'd also recommend a touch of espresso powder (instant/ground coffee) to accentuate the chocolate taste.

    You can try these recipes, they contain things that you probably already have in your kitchen.
    Smitten Kitchen's recipe
    One from the Joy of Baking
    A random from ABC

    I'd also suggest a chocolate coating or chocolate bits if you feel that there isn't enough "oomph" to them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete